1525 K
4. tcmeyers
5. kbata
6. Martie
7. Hammerton
8. rrenfrow
9. bneeman
10. plegler
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 01:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the FileMaker Web Masters Exchange.  If you have any questions about how to use this forum, please watch the getting started movie at:
http://www.fmwebschool.com/movies/forum1/forum1.html
27830 Posts in 6157 Topics by 1525 Members
Latest Member: alkyred
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  fmwebschool.com
|-+  FileMaker Inc Products and Technologies
| |-+  Instant Web Publishing
| | |-+  Radio button value incorrectly reflects value of field in IWP
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Radio button value incorrectly reflects value of field in IWP  (Read 5519 times)
gkamp

Applications:
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:28:36 AM »

Hi all!

We observed a very strange behavior recently (and would practically swear that it did not do this originally; I don't know if it has anything to do with the last system software update) where the value of a radio button in IWP was uniformly one value, no matter what the value of the field was in the FMP version of the database.  In addition, if you displayed the field as a popup menu instead, the correct value appeared in IWP.  Our solution was to switch the type of display, but this behavior still remains a mystery. 

The solution is running under FMSA 8.04 on a Mac running OS Server 10.4.9 and I have attached screen captures of the FMP version seen through the same server and the IWP version.  The IWP anomaly does not appear to be platform or browser dependent, as it was first reported by the database manager of this database from her PC, and I see the same behavior from a Mac.

I tried to search the archives to find any reference to such a problem but couldn't find any.

Any insights into this mystery would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Gail

* FMPversion.gif (4.6 KB, 233x107 - viewed 352 times.)

* IWPversion.gif (4.46 KB, 233x107 - viewed 351 times.)
Genx
Global Moderator

Kudos: 1525

Good Times

Applications:
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:31:42 PM »

Hi Gail,

I was playing with IWP the other day trying to sort my field looks out and I experienced something similar... It seems that pop-up lists, menu's, radio buttons, checkbox sets etc. all don't play well with each other when defined on the same field on the same layout.

Get rid of the pop-up menu and the radio set should display the correct value.

Cheers,

Alex
gkamp

Applications:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 02:43:04 PM »

Thanks, Alex, but the radio buttons were the first things there, and it was those that we discovered weren't behaving correctly.  As a temporary (?) fix I replaced it with the popup list/menu, which DID work properly.  I just put the radio button thing back on the layout to illustrate the discrepancy (how it looks in FMP vs how it looks in IWP) for this list.  The problem doesn't disappear if I get rid of the other field format (sigh).

Gail
Genx
Global Moderator

Good Times

Applications:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:37:52 AM »

Hmmm, okay well two of the same field on the layout is what stuffed mine up, but...

Try recreating your radio button set... i.e. remove it and add it again, see if that helps.
gkamp

Applications:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 04:05:05 AM »

Doesn't work.  I even restarted the server yesterday (have a recurring problem that the monitor stops sleeping properly after a while and just stays on or more correctly flicks off then back on again), so this didn't help either.  The databases all go through the server's vetting, and that's normal too.

Gail

P.S. I like your mantid!
Genx
Global Moderator

Good Times

Applications:
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 05:04:02 AM »

Hi Gail,

Hehe me too re the mantid Smiley It's head is tilted so it looks kind of like a puppy  Undecided.

Anyway, try replicating the issue in the following order:

another field
another layout
another database

I only suggest this because when all else fails look for corruption especially if it was originally working -- i just tried it with FMSA 8.04 on Win in a clean DB and the radio set displays as expected for me.

Alex
gkamp

Applications:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 06:15:35 AM »

Will try, but right now the priority is low for me to go through this work since there is a fix that works--I'll check though whether I have any radio buttons on other databases I'm working with.  It is a colleague's database that I'm hosting and I've got a gazillion other things breathing down my neck, not the least of which is to get my currently served IWP databases working with FMStudio for a less databasy interface.  I think my IWP interface is cool, and so far it is much more versatile than the php I've been able to generate for a complex database structure, but IWP won't enable me to talk to the federated biodiversity database structure in GBIF (Global Biodiversity Information Facility), or easily map all of my specimen data on the fly.

Will let you know if something works, and thanks for the advice! 

Gail

P.S. I'm an entomologist, and mantids do indeed appear very expressive, which is why they are such winners with the public--can you imagine your favorite roach that way (aside from Joe's Apartment)?  Your slogan is a good one too!
Genx
Global Moderator

Good Times

Applications:
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 06:30:01 AM »

IWP won't enable me to talk to the federated biodiversity database structure in GBIF (Global Biodiversity Information Facility), or easily map all of my specimen data on the fly.

Hmmm, no but a web viewer in IWP with an embedded CWP based PHP page passing GET variables through a URL may or may not help.

Hehe, your P.S's are always filled with compliments Smiley

Goodluck!
cbum

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »

genx,

I am seing something identical/similar:

Certain field list values appear not to register at all in the browsers, although they function fine in the client.
For example: the list values No/Yes/? work fine, but No/Yes/Unknown leads to only the No button accepting any input, and changing to another value (in the browser) fails.
Moreover, if I choose other values using the FMP client, which works, the browser continues to display only the no value, even after logging out etc. Again, this does not change with resizing.
What is going on here?

Configuration:  MacOsX.4.10 on a dual G5MacPro, FMSA 9.0.1
Genx
Global Moderator

Good Times

Applications:
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 09:27:31 PM »

Well lets start off with the same suggestion as above. Note for all below: Don't copy and paste or duplicate existing elements.

Can you replicate this with a new field on the same layout?

If so can you replicate it on a new layout with a new field?

If so can you replicate on a new layout with a new field with a new value list?

And then if you can do all that, can you replicate the effect in a new data base?

Let me know how you go and maybe Gail could drop a word back in on how she went in solving the issue.
gkamp

Applications:
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 04:07:10 AM »

We ended up resolving it as I stated earlier by changing it from a radio button type field to a popup list.  We have other check box fields that work on this same page, for which we've had no problems (they are not yes/no, but multiple checks possible, thus inappropriate for radio buttons and awkward for popup lists with the necessity of teaching the user how to do multiple selections that way). 

It is interesting that your cbum's No/Yes/? worked, because searching for ? usually gives an error unless treated specially, which I don't think you'd be able to do from the IWP version...at least in a text field this is problematic, I've never tried it in a radio button field.

Sorry not to be of more help.  I've finally gotten my PHP stuff to work so the IWP is now secondary, even though the ability to float through related pieces of the database without conscious queries is cool, IMHO... Interestingly in FM9, if you are going to use IWP with a Server version, you need Advanced, but for PHP, you only need Server... this is going to push more people away from IWP, unless they need other ODBC/JDBC-type features.  On the other hand, I guess it will be more attractive to those not using FM on the web before to embrace the PHP industry standard...

Cheers!
Gail
cbum

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 08:57:46 AM »

Genx,

I did all your steps except try in a new database file, which frankly wouldn't be much help. I even tried to change the order of the values, to no effect. And all the formatting variations (extra wide etc.) had no effect.

gkamp,

I need the radio buttons for two reasons: first, I need to replicate the layout of the hardcopy original for the data entry personnel, and second, I need the one and only one selection feature of the radio button.

Going to PHP is a good choice, but doesn't work for me because I don't know enough to change the fairly specific layout you get with the PHP publishing feature to approximate the original hardcopy.
Genx
Global Moderator

Good Times

Applications:
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 09:32:05 AM »

Well you can use a pop-up menu or a drop down if you wanted -- both translate to an html select box which requires only one choice in any case.
cbum

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 09:47:15 AM »

Genx,

right, but it pretty much breaks the premise that FMP can be used to recreate the hardcopy layout that the users are using.

Furthermore, its pretty scary that FMP has such behaviors lurking below, and they haven't been fixed...
Genx
Global Moderator

Good Times

Applications:
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 02:26:38 PM »

In full agreement with you there... one of the reasons I don't really like IWP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: