1525 K
4. tcmeyers
5. kbata
6. Martie
7. Hammerton
8. rrenfrow
9. bneeman
10. plegler
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 02:31:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the FileMaker Web Masters Exchange.  If you have any questions about how to use this forum, please watch the getting started movie at:
http://www.fmwebschool.com/movies/forum1/forum1.html
27808 Posts in 6153 Topics by 1525 Members
Latest Member: alkyred
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  fmwebschool.com
|-+  FMTouch
| |-+  FMTouch - FileMaker Databases on the iPhone and iPod iTouch
| | |-+  Multi-File Solutions
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Multi-File Solutions  (Read 3187 times)
adatasol

« on: August 07, 2008, 06:16:42 AM »

Will FMTouch handle these?  We're using separate model for one solution.  Do we just select both files when generating the DDR?

Michael Petrov
Chief Software Developer
Administrator

Kudos: 15522

Applications:
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:19:06 AM »

It will try to handle them - the files must be open and their table occurrences must be on the relationship graph of the solution you are syncing to for it to be grabbed. Other than that, try and see - it uses FMPro as a proxy for all the requests, so if FMPro can grab the data without doing anything crazy, FMTouch should be able to get that data.

Michael Petrov,
Chief Software Developer
FMWebschool
michael@fmwebschool.com
Keep up with our development, follow me on Twitter
dwikstrom
FMTouch Developers

Kudos: 50

CamelCase data

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 03:24:49 PM »

This is a big concern for me as well... Most of my solutions are multi-file with DATA/UI separation. I tried syncing a UI file that has TOs for all tables in the DATA file (which is always the case in my separation model solutions), but the only table that got sync'ed is the UI file. Very annoying. I really hope someone will find a work-around/solution for this.

Though this is not going to stop me from using FMTouch, it is certainly going to complicate presenting this to existing customers unless they ask for it, since I'd have to re-write their solution just to be able to demo it. I also dislike the idea of having to change my way of programming over this. I really think FMTouch should handle multiple files (data from external files) since it is one of the main advances in fp7.

I presume that this means that FMTouch is incompatible with ESS? Has anybody tried this?

Sorry to be slightly irritated in this first post on FMTouch; this is no way means I don't deeply appreciate the efforts made by the guys at FMWebschool. I'll get back with a post on a more positive note once I've done some testing on a single-file solution.

David Wikström
FileMaker 8 & 9 Certified Developer
CamelCase data
FileMaker Business Alliance Member
Vancouver, BC, Canada
david.wikstrom@camelcasedata.com
+1-604.603.2558
www.camelcasedata.com

David Wikström
FileMaker 10/9/8 Certified Developer
CamelCase data
FileMaker Business Alliance Trainer
Vancouver, BC, Canada
+1-604.603.2558
www.camelcasedata.com
Michael Petrov
Chief Software Developer
Administrator

Applications:
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 03:33:47 PM »

Hi David,

As I said already, we will be testing this - in theory all of it will be supported so I will investigate it with a multi file solution and will report progress here. Most likely the v1.2 update of FMTouch (3-4 weeks until it will make it to the app store) will be able to support this.

Best Regards,
Michael Petrov

Michael Petrov,
Chief Software Developer
FMWebschool
michael@fmwebschool.com
dwikstrom
FMTouch Developers

Kudos: 50

CamelCase data

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »

That sounds great!

I bought FMTouch before it came out on the app store but didn't have time to test it before today, but now that I'm on it, I'd be more than happy to volunteer for beta testing etc...

David Wikström
FileMaker 10/9/8 Certified Developer
CamelCase data
FileMaker Business Alliance Trainer
Vancouver, BC, Canada
+1-604.603.2558
www.camelcasedata.com
Michael Petrov
Chief Software Developer
Administrator

Applications:
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 03:57:25 PM »

Wait, so you are on the beta team? In that case, you would likely be able to test it and let us know if multi-file stuff works by the end of the weekend. Smiley I will be trying this sometime over the weekend and will post a new build as soon as I have something concrete to report.

Michael Petrov,
Chief Software Developer
FMWebschool
michael@fmwebschool.com
Cordega Solutions

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 07:10:10 PM »

I'm a new comer as well.  And will also be testing on getting a multi-file solution working.

I also bought the beta-expensive-early package plan, and finally have an iPhone and time to install everything on.

My multi-file solution consists of 12 files.  The DDR for each file ranges from 178 KB to 2,780KB for the data files. 

My interface file however is 80 MB, so obviously, I'll have to create a clone with a pared down interface.  Other tricky bits will be:
- scripts
- container fields
- help files (which currently use the web viewer)

It's clear that the core data files can probably stay the same.  But the interface and help files will have to have alternate versions to work for FMTouch

This is going to be one heck of a challenge.  But allot of folks really want me to convert my app to iPhone compatible so that they can sync it.  If that can happen, woohoo!!

I can't wait for my FMTouch installer link to arrive.

Christopher Gauntt
Cordega Solutions
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: