1525 K
4. tcmeyers
5. kbata
6. Martie
7. Hammerton
8. rrenfrow
9. bneeman
10. plegler
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 03:59:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the FileMaker Web Masters Exchange.  If you have any questions about how to use this forum, please watch the getting started movie at:
http://www.fmwebschool.com/movies/forum1/forum1.html
27787 Posts in 6147 Topics by 1525 Members
Latest Member: alkyred
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  fmwebschool.com
|-+  FMStudio
| |-+  FMStudio
| | |-+  Forum Etiquette - Please Read
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Forum Etiquette - Please Read  (Read 7128 times)
Hammerton

Kudos: 433

Applications:
« on: June 06, 2008, 07:32:13 AM »

There seems to be a growing number of visitors who ask for help with a problem, get several people trying to help them, and then never reply about the final outcome of their problem. At it's inception, this forum was an incredibly valuable resource because visitors could read about a problem and how it was solved. People even replied to themselves if they had solved their own problems. My own stupid mistakes might have pointed the way for others to avoid similar stupid mistakes.

However, more and more, people are dumping their problems on the forum, getting responses, and letting the issue drop. For the frequent helpers, I'm sure one of their motivations is the satisfaction of solving a problem and helping a fellow geek. That motivation will fade if forum users do not provide feedback on the resolution to their problems.

It would be sad if Michael had to program the forum to block folks with a history of unanswered questions.

So, IMHO, users need to (a) use the point system to denote a question they want help with, and (b) post the outcomes to their problems, even if the solution was fixing a typo, and (c) award points to the person who helped.

jim

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
FMWebschool
FMWebschool Team
Administrator

Kudos: 1383

Allyson Olm, Chief Developer

Applications:
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 08:14:45 AM »

Thank you very much for your post.  The points that you make are extremely valid.  Our idea for the forum is to be a place where individuals can help one another as well as learn.  It makes it very difficult to learn from many of the post, it the person asking the question does not let the community know whether the answer solved their problem or not.

In order for any community to be successful there needs to be full circle communication.  Follow some basic rules of generosity.  If you post a question, and another member takes the time to answer that question.  Be sure to at least thank them for their time.  Follow up, and give back to the community by saying, "I used this", or "This worked for me".  Advanced users will be much more willing to help, if you are genuinely grateful for their help.  Remember this is a community and the community can only exist if there is an equality of sharing and helping one another.

I have been watching the forums and working on developing new ideas to make things easier and a little less cluttered.  I am currently working on an online bug database that will allow users to post Bugs related to specific products and to add comments or suggestions.  I am hoping that we will be able to clean up some of the clutter by integrating this Bug / Suggestion database.

Secondly we go through the forum and begin removing posts that are old and offer no true value to the community.  Nebulous questions that were never answered etc.  We will make sure that all post of value will remain.  Our goal is to make this a very valuable forum for helping people.  If we are able to remove some of the clutter it will be much easier for individuals to find solutions.

If you have posted and your post was resolved, please take some time and go back and mark the question as solved and let the developer know that you are thankful for their time.  Also please take just a moment to post how the answer helped solve your problem.

Our goal is to provide you with resources to make your life easier and more successful.  We are always listening.  If you have an idea or need to vent and don't want to post to the forum, please email me at stephen@fmwebschool.com.  I am listening, and I will respond.

In Kindness
Stephen Knight
http://www.fmwebschool.com
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:18:43 AM by Michael Petrov » Logged

In Kindness
FMWebschool Team
http://www.fxforge.net
Matt Wales

Applications:
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 04:00:30 PM »

I always thank people for their help and always reply if it fixes my problem and thank people again.

I am very grateful of people who help me solve a problem and truly appreciate it when some takes their tome to help me.

I am also grateful for this great application that lets me easily interact with my data base via the web.

thanks again.

Cool

matt

Matt Wales
DaveH

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:02:15 AM »

Hi,

Can someone please advise how I go about marking a topic as solved.

Thanks
David
Troy Meyers

Kudos: 850

(it's an orchid)

Applications:
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:37:38 AM »

DaveH,

If you posed the original question, then (if you are logged in) all of the posts from other people will have a "MARK ANSWER" button in the upper right hand corner of the post. Find the post that mostly solved your question, and click "MARK ANSWER".

If other people's posts don't have this button, then perhaps when you first asked the question you didn't indicate that it was a question. If the original posts doesn't say something like "[ Worth XX Kudos points ]" then it probably wasn't logged as a question. Take a look at your first post in the thread. If you are allowed to (I'm not sure everyone is) there is a "MODIFY" button near the upper right corner of the post. Click that, and you can alter your original post. I think maybe you have to have posted X number of times before this is allowed, but I'm not sure. In any  case, if you can, then you have access to a "Question Difficulty" dropdown menu. If it's marked "Not a Question" then the thread can't be marked solved. Change it to some level of question and Save the change.

Then you should be able to mark someone else's post "MARK ANSWER". Unfortunately (and this might change) you can't mark it solved from one of YOUR post messages.

-Troy
DaveH

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:49:14 AM »

Hi Troy,

Thanks for your prompt reply explaining how it works. Much appreciated.

Regards
David
Lynne Jackson

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »

I would gladly mark my most recent post as "Solved" - however, I cannot mark "Solved" on an answer to a post I made that I solved myself.

I am not sure what to do in this instance, because I agree, having answers marked solved is very helpful.
webko
Global Moderator

Kudos: 9743

Applications:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 12:20:22 PM »

The forum doesn't allow people to mark their own posts as solved... try asking Michael to use his admin powers to do so for you perhaps...

tim.webko_at_gmail.com
Boris

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »

There seems to be a growing number of visitors who ask for help with a problem, get several people trying to help them, and then never reply about the final outcome of their problem. At it's inception, this forum was an incredibly valuable resource because visitors could read about a problem and how it was solved. People even replied to themselves if they had solved their own problems. My own stupid mistakes might have pointed the way for others to avoid similar stupid mistakes.

However, more and more, people are dumping their problems on the forum, getting responses, and letting the issue drop. For the frequent helpers, I'm sure one of their motivations is the satisfaction of solving a problem and helping a fellow geek. That motivation will fade if forum users do not provide feedback on the resolution to their problems.

It would be sad if Michael had to program the forum to block folks with a history of unanswered questions.

So, IMHO, users need to (a) use the point system to denote a question they want help with, and (b) post the outcomes to their problems, even if the solution was fixing a typo, and (c) award points to the person who helped.

jim
webko
Global Moderator

Applications:
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »

And your point is?

tim.webko_at_gmail.com
reinier

Applications:
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 05:47:40 AM »

michael

Is it possible to cancel/delete your own post?
I posted two tips, that were not up to par (syntax, malformed etc), and I would like to cancel/delete them, will pm this too.

txs

regards, Reinier
FMWebschool
FMWebschool Team
Administrator

Applications:
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 08:02:12 AM »

Reinier,

Send me the links to the posts - at stephen at fmwebschool and I will delete them for you, no worries.

In Kindness
Stephen Knight

In Kindness
FMWebschool Team
webko
Global Moderator

Applications:
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 02:10:38 PM »

I was the person who responded - I didn't mean to belittle Renier's tips, I meant to offer improvements to them - they are both good tips, but had some minor errors. I may have been too strong in the way I responded, but I didn't mean to cause offence.

tim.webko_at_gmail.com
FMWebschool
FMWebschool Team
Administrator

Applications:
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »

No worries at all,

You contribute a GREAT deal to the forum, and sometimes in "written form" it is difficult to discern the true intent of the email.  You have helped probably hundreds of people on this forum.  A little exchange in word play every now and then is not a big deal.

I will email Reinier BC as well Smiley

In Kindness
Stephen Knight

In Kindness
FMWebschool Team
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: