1525 K
4. tcmeyers
5. kbata
6. Martie
7. Hammerton
8. rrenfrow
9. bneeman
10. plegler
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 09:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the FileMaker Web Masters Exchange.  If you have any questions about how to use this forum, please watch the getting started movie at:
http://www.fmwebschool.com/movies/forum1/forum1.html
27828 Posts in 6156 Topics by 1525 Members
Latest Member: alkyred
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  fmwebschool.com
|-+  FMStudio
| |-+  FMStudio
| | |-+  New FMStudio Modules - FMStudio for FileMaker 9
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New FMStudio Modules - FMStudio for FileMaker 9  (Read 11486 times)
FMWebschool
FMWebschool Team
Administrator

Kudos: 1383

Allyson Olm, Chief Developer

Applications:
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:48:13 PM »

FMWebschool Announces FMStudio Emailer

Fast Powerful Emailing from the Web
http://www.fmwebschool.com/fmstudio_email.php

Glen Allen, VA - July 9, 2007 -The new FMStudio Email Module is now available.  The new email module is just one of the many new modules FMWebschool will be offering over the next few weeks.  These snap-on modules will focus on making complex task easier.

FMStudio enables users to drag and drop FileMaker fields into Dreamweaver and quickly create and edit FileMaker websites, never losing contact with FileMaker, always allowing you to work with LIVE data.  Our new line of powerful modules will enable users to 'snap-on' extra feature sets to FMStudio.

The FMStudio Email Module adds powerful email functionality to your FileMaker driven websites.  This module takes only 2 minutes to set-up and begin using immediately with Dreamweaver.

This week we will be offering the module at $20.00 off the regular price.  Let our email module do the hard work for you for only $29.99.

* Effortlessly send multiple emails with or without attachments
    * Easily Send Complex HTML emails
    * Use inline images
    * SMTP Support
    * Takes only 2 minutes to set up

Watch FMStudio Email in Action

http://www.fmwebschool.com/email_mod/email_mod.html

Learn more about FMStudio Email

http://www.fmwebschool.com/fmstudio_email.php

FMWebschool Updates

Since its release in late November, FMStudio has been updated 9 times.  Update History Why such an aggressive update schedule?  It is our goal to create the best FileMaker web tools available.  We will continue to research and develop new ways to make you web publishing experience one of success and enjoyment.

Tell a friend
Help us expand the FMStudio community.  The world of FileMaker web publishing is extremely exciting, and full of opportunities.  Work with us to create a strong and supportive community of FileMaker web developers.

Thank you all for your constant support and encouragement.  Your kindness enables us to turn dreams into reality.

In Kindness,
The team at FMWebschool

FMStudio is copyright 2007 FMWebschool Inc.

In Kindness
FMWebschool Team
http://www.fmwebschool.com
http://www.fxforge.net
mcarey

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 02:07:50 PM »

You mention in your demo movie that if you are a business that needs to send out a daily email, you can set up a script that will run daily that performs a find on a date field and then send out all the emails for that date.  My questions are:

(1) It looks like the emails are being sent out using the php mail() command from a .php page. So you are configuring your php ini file to send the email out through a local client or to the IP address of an external mail server. Is that the way it works?

(2) How do you set up a script to run daily to activate these emails (as you say in your video it is easy to do...I can't wait.  Is the script called from a .php page?...and how do you get it to run daily without a plug in of some sort?

(3) My purpose for asking these questions is that I am looking for a way to get away from runing a client version of FMpro as a mail robot that sends out email through a mail client on the same machine....which is separate from my fm advanced server.

I want to have my php web site send out an email automatically each day to a group of users in my filemaker database based on an email flag field that changes each day...so I can get rid of my email robot machine.  I am wondering if this new module will help me do that?

Thanks and keep up the great work!
Michael Petrov
Chief Software Developer
Administrator

Kudos: 15522

Applications:
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 03:29:41 PM »

Hi Mac,

Thank you for the interest in the email module! Sending daily emails for a business is not a problem but it is operating system specific.

1) One of the videos demonstrates both PHP mail() and SMTP, therefore both options are available. I personally prefer to always use SMTP with an external mail server, but you can configure the smtp_host value within your php.ini to point to an external mail server as well - turning the php built-in mail() into an SMTP sender. By default however, PHP mail() is configured for localhost.

2) First you write the PHP page that does the sending (send and mark as sent) using the standard FMStudio tools. Once you have the page built, setup a sceduled task to either open a browser window to that URL or class something like 'wget' or 'curl' on the command line. If you are on Mac OS then you have to take a look at 'cron jobs' (Google for instructions), which are essentially scheduled tasks. If you are using a hosting company, they can set this up for you.

3) This should certainly allow you to remove that robot machine, PHP with a scheduled task can do many things that are much more powerful then sending email.

Best Regards,
Michael Petrov

Michael Petrov,
Chief Software Developer
FMWebschool
michael@fmwebschool.com
Keep up with our development, follow me on Twitter
mcarey

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:01:12 PM »

I personally prefer to always use SMTP with an external mail server, but you can configure the smtp_host value within your php.ini to point to an external mail server as well - turning the php built-in mail() into an SMTP sender. By default however, PHP mail() is configured for localhost.

I currently have some PHP pages sending out email using the mail().  An example is a registration page I have.  When someone registers for a class by creating a record starting from my add.php page they are taken to the add_reply.php page which creates the record and with a php mail() on the page sends out a confirmation email to the user who just registered.  I placed my mail servers IP in the PHP ini file replacing the localhost entry to make this work.  I am not sure what you mean when you say:

"I personally prefer to always use SMTP with an external mail server, but you can configure the smtp_host value within your php.ini to point to an external mail server as well - turning the php built-in mail() into an SMTP sender. By default however, PHP mail() is configured for localhost."

I thought I was sending mail via SMTP through my mail server.  What do you mean you prefer to alway use SMTP with an external mail server, BUT....?  Do you mean If you want to also do this...instead of BUT?  Because I thought that was what I am doing?  Sorry for the need for clarification but this is all new stuff I am learning.

-Mac

-Mac

Michael Petrov
Chief Software Developer
Administrator

Applications:
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 04:16:38 PM »

Hi Mac,

What you did is exactly what I described - chaning the mail server address in php.ini. The email module actually allows you to use authenticated SMTP without changing php.ini at all, but you can just use the default mail option if it is already working for you. I think your advantage from using the email module would come from being able to send much more customized multi-part emails, otherwise looks like you have the hang of basic PHP mailing already.

Best Regards,
Michael Petrov

Michael Petrov,
Chief Software Developer
FMWebschool
michael@fmwebschool.com
Hammerton

Kudos: 433

Applications:
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 03:04:46 PM »

Hi Guys,

I need to send newly registered clients an automatic e-mail. I'd ideally like that to be triggered by the creation of a new record. I have no idea how to do this, but it sounds like mcary has figured it out. Can someone explain this to me in the simplest possible terms? Thanks.

jim

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Michael Petrov
Chief Software Developer
Administrator

Applications:
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 03:32:31 PM »

Hi Jim,

Just use our email module and put its server behavior on the response page that has the New Query - each time the page loads successfully the email server behavior will fire an email (optionally using some data from the newly created record).

Best Regards,
Michael Petrov

Michael Petrov,
Chief Software Developer
FMWebschool
michael@fmwebschool.com
Hammerton

Kudos: 433

Applications:
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 08:47:24 AM »

Michael,

I am delighted that this can be done, and I will buy the email module. But..... my delight is based more on my trust in your brilliance than my understanding of how this works. In the video, the first example show an already created page that Stephen describes as a way to see if the mail has been sent. Then he goes to his browser and shoes a results file with a list of names messages  etc. It is unclear when the sending happens, and less clear how it happens. If there some configuration that happen before hand to specify things like from and reply-to? My confusion arises from having previously used smtpit with filemaker 5 unlimited. In that case the email was sent from a script that was executed in the a page that would then take you to a results page where, if you wished, you could show who you mailed and what they received.

jim

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Michael Petrov
Chief Software Developer
Administrator

Applications:
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:01:07 AM »

Hi Jim,

The email sending is executed when the little "Email" icon in design view is loaded into the page as that is the actual trigger. THerefore you place it on the response page and it is automatically executed. Take a look at this video (the bit you want starts at 3:00 and ends at about 8 or 9 minutes):

http://www.fmwebschool.com/email_tutorial/email_tutorial.html

Best Regards,
Michael Petrov

Michael Petrov,
Chief Software Developer
FMWebschool
michael@fmwebschool.com
Dale Technology Ltd

Applications:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:03:40 AM »

Hi,

Is the email module capable of SMTP authentication? The mail server I need to use requires authentication and at present I'm trying to use PEAR_Mail to achieve this, with little success unfortunately.
Thank you.
Regards,

Conor
Michael Petrov
Chief Software Developer
Administrator

Applications:
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:14:38 AM »

Hi Conor,

It certainly does - and it is actually the preferred method of using the module (we use SMTP authentication in the module tutorial movies).

Best Regards,
Michael Petrov

Michael Petrov,
Chief Software Developer
FMWebschool
michael@fmwebschool.com
thirdwaver

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »

I have specified username and password in the smtp settings but I'm still getting error messages stating "Authorization denied" because of the sender's domain.  I think it's because I'm putting the email address that was submitted in the form as the "From" address and that person is a customer so they are not a member of our domain.

Is there another way to get this working? 

I've tried the PHP mailer and it says it succeeds but the email never gets delivered.  I'm kind of stuck here.

Light a fire for a man and he'll be warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Michael Petrov
Chief Software Developer
Administrator

Applications:
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »

I have specified username and password in the smtp settings but I'm still getting error messages stating "Authorization denied" because of the sender's domain.  I think it's because I'm putting the email address that was submitted in the form as the "From" address and that person is a customer so they are not a member of our domain.

Is there another way to get this working? 

I've tried the PHP mailer and it says it succeeds but the email never gets delivered.  I'm kind of stuck here.

Yup, that is correct - faking from addresses is not a good idea these days. Reply-to is the way to go here when doing emails however the email module doesn't expose that functionality just yet. I will consider it as a feature request for the next update. For now you have a few options, however the best one is probably to modify the module itself by editing Email_Module/emailer.php:

There is this section:
Code:
<?php
     $headers 
= array(

'To' => $to,

'From' => $from,

'Subject' => $subject,
     );
?>

Change it to:
Code:
<?php
     $headers 
= array(

'To' => $to,

'From' => 'youremail@domain.com',

'Reply-To' => $from,

'Subject' => $subject,
     );
?>

This sets a constant from address on all instances of the email module for your site and the from setting is used in the reply-to. When you click reply in your email client the reply-to address is used automatically in the from field.

Michael Petrov,
Chief Software Developer
FMWebschool
michael@fmwebschool.com
thirdwaver

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »

That worked!  Thank you

Light a fire for a man and he'll be warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
btilton

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 01:35:44 PM »

Wondering is anyone can help? Just purchased the email module and installed it just fine. Was able to get it to generate emails by SMTP but here the issue. I have a container field that hold the company logo. When the email is sent, that does not show on the email at all, even though it shows up in the internet browser. Secondly, I tried attaching a .txt file to the email. While it is attached to the email when I open my mail program and retrieve the test mail, it's unreadable. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!! Huh
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: